#1 - Task Definition
Define the information problem
Identify information needed (to solve the information problem)
- What is my current task?
- What are some topics or questions I need to answer?
- What information will I need?
#4 - Use of Information
Use of Information
Engage (e.g., read, hear, view, touch)
Extract relevant information
- What information do I expect to find in this source?
- What information from the source is useful?
The Big 6 Website
#2 - Information Seeking Strategies
Information Seeking Strategies
Determine all possible sources (brainstorm)
Select the best sources
- What are all the possible sources to check?
- What are the best sources of information for this task?
#5 - Synthesis
Organize from multiple sources
Present the information
- How will I organize my information?
- How should I present my information?
#3 - Location and Access
Location and Access
Locate sources (intellectually and physically)
Find information within sources
- Where can I find these sources?
- Where can I find the information in the source?
#6 - Evaluation
Judge the product (effectiveness)
Judge the process (efficiency)
- Did I do what was required?
- Did I complete each of the Big6 Stages efficiently?